If you have a headache, you’re not alone. Nine out of ten Americans suffer from headaches. Some are occasional, some frequent, some are dull and throbbing, and some cause debilitating pain and nausea.
Ninety-five percent of all headaches fall into two categories:
- Tension headache - associated with increased muscular tension, most commonly as a result of stress. The majority of people manifest stress in the muscles of the neck, upper back, and shoulder areas, which in turn refers pain to the head. These muscles become tight and develop tender localized areas of constriction and spasm called “trigger points”. The pain on a tension headache is usually a steady, persistent ache with a sensation of tightness throughout the neck and head.
- Vascular headache - most common is the migraine, which results from changes in the blood vessels of the head and neck. Migraines can be triggered by a number of factors (including stress, certain foods, irregular sleeping or eating patterns, and so on). Migraine headaches are usually throbbing in nature, can affect one side of the head or both, and may be accompanied by nausea, vomiting, visual disturbances, and sensitivity to light or noise.
The vast majority of these types of headaches are triggered by:
- Postural strain - poor posture while standing, painting, playing sports, sleeping, working, doing hobbies
- Stress from sitting - at a desk or computer or from driving accumulates quickly because these are activities we spend a lot of time doing.
- Traumatic injuries - such as slip and fall accidents, auto accidents or athletic injuries cause misalignments in the spine and tension in muscles.
These triggers result in nerve pressure at the base of the skull and cause misalignment of vertebrae in the neck region and spine.
While drugs can provide temporary headache relief, they do nothing to correct the underlying cause of the headache pain.
Chiropractic care offers an effective, drugless means of preventing, diminishing, and in many cases alleviating these headache symptoms.
Proper treatment depends on the underlying cause of your headache pain. Our experienced, compassionate doctors can provide a free pain assessment to determine the root cause of your headache pain and to recommend a natural treatment plan, without drugs or surgery.
Chiropractic care techniques such as gentle, precise spinal adjustments, ultrasound, and cold therapy can provide fast, effective headache pain relief. These techniques may be used in conjunction with massage therapy and/or nutritional counseling.
$59* NEW PATIENT SPECIAL
Initial visit includes: examination, x-rays (if needed), doctor's report of findings.
* Online booking only! When no insurance is billed. Visits billed to insurance are subject to contract rates. Medicare and Medicaid patients not eligible.